Building the foundations of faith
The following are lessons designed to help our leaders and members lead others into a foundational understanding of the Christian faith. While these resources can be used independently, our advice is that they be done within personal discipleship relationships.
The following are PDF and Word document copies of the handouts for each lesson. They will be updated as they are changed.
Word Doc copies
If you are using systematics as part of a small community group. The following are questions after each session to help you better get to know the other people in your group.
Session 01 – Why Believe the Bible?
1) What are some of the philosophical influences in your life? Books, comics, movies, shows, and games all count.
2) Who/what do you rely on for “truth”? Teachers, internet, church, books, etc?
3) What is your history of reading the bible? When did you start, how much have you read, how well do you read it?
4) What is the role of history in your life? What parts of history are important or interesting to you?
5) What is your knowledge of the Biblical history? Old or new testament?
6) What is the history of you and your family’s faith or church life?
Session 02 – Who is God
1) What are things in the world that you are fascinated to learn about?
2) Where are places that you’ve gone in which you are in awe of the bigness of creation?
3) What are some of the intricate things in like that astound you by how complex they are?
4) Who or what has helped you to define your understanding of morality, right and wrong?
5) What are things in this world that you find beautiful?
6) What are the scientific doubts/questions you have about God’s existence?
Session 03 – Who are We?
1) What are the top 10 things that you would say make up “who you are”?
2) What’s an early memory you have about really making a mistake?
3) What’s a moment when you really felt the seriousness of your own sinfulness?
4) 10 years from now, what are characteristics about who you are that you will hope will change?
5) What are elements of our fallen creation that really pull at your heart?
Session 04 – Who is Jesus?
1) What are some human experiences that you find humorous that Jesus would have done them too?
2) Who are some the people that you model parts of your life after?
3) What were some circumstances in your life that you felt nobody would understand?
4) Who are some of your current best friends? How did you get to know them?
5) What are ways that you get to know the people in your life better?
Session 05 – What did Jesus do? Salvation
1) Are you saved? If yes, tell your testimony of salvation. If no, then what part of salvation are you resisting in your life?
2) How do you feel about asking people for help? What are areas that you find hard to ask for help?
3) Who are people in your life that helped you understand Jesus’ salvation?
4) How do you think Jesus looks at you right now?
5) Who are non-believing people in your life who you are praying for their salvation?
The following are recordings of the lessons being done with some interns and leaders in 2018. They are useful as reminders for those who are wanting to do discipleship with others.